There’s a definite Motley Fool voice, plainspoken and irreverent. But there’s never one indivisible Motley Fool opinion. Individual responsibility is at the heart of our culture here at the Fool. Use your own judgment and bounce your ideas around with other Fools. Superior investment ideas can come from anywhere, so your ability to listen and synthesize is as important as your ability to create.
Turf wars are rare at The Motley Fool. Maybe because our turf is wide open. There is no visible pecking order. Nobody fights for the corner office. (There are no corner offices.)
The Motley Fool HQ is located in historic Old Town Alexandria, Virginia across from the King Street Metro station. Walk to swell restaurants. Bike the historic tow path along the Potomac. Go sailing after work. Grab the Metro to anywhere you like.
Working at the Fool will be the best job you’ll ever have: flexible work schedule, competitive salary, great benefits, awesome coworkers, and one of the best working environments you’ll find anywhere.
Business is thriving, growing, and evolving, so you’ll meet new challenges every day. If you want to spend your career making the world a better place and contributing to a revolution in investment, The Motley Fool may be the place for you.
The Fool offers comprehensive health, vision, prescription, and dental coverage through a PPO plan. And if you are electing coverage for yourself, it’s only $4 per paycheck ($2 for health/prescription/vision and $2 for dental)! Benefits are even effective on your date of hire.
The Fool’s vacation/sick policy is pretty straightforward: take what you need. That’s right, as long as you get your work done and consult with your supervisor in advance (if you’re going to be sick, we’d like to know in advance, but we understand it doesn’t always work that way…unfortunately…), you may take any reasonable amount of time off. With pay, of course. Huh? Flexible paid time off? What’s the catch? Well… nothing, actually. Fools treat themselves, their company and their co-workers with fairness and respect, so you will not abuse such a wonderfully Foolish benefit.
We follow the New York Stock Exchange. And, being in the DC area has it perks as there is at least one holiday that we have off when everyone else is working.
Work like a grown-up. A Fool’s work is never done, but that doesn’t mean we work all the time. Most Fools start their day between 8 – 10 am. Lots of Fools work a standard 40 hour workweek. But we recognize that everyone is different. We try to stay flexible. Working with your team, you can customize your work schedule to meet the particular demands of your job.
Anything goes, even white shoes before Memorial Day. We really only have three types of unacceptable dress here at the Fool: Viking helmets with strapless evening gowns; plaid with polka-dots; more than three colors not found in nature.
- Traditional Pre-Tax 401(k) or Roth (After-Tax) 401(k): Employees can join immediately. And as financial educators, we strongly encourage you to sock away the full legal amount. The Motley Fool matches 2% up to your first 1% and $.50 on the dollar up to 9%. (This is, essentially, a 6% match.)
- Yes, Virginia, every Fool is indeed an investor. When you’re hired, we’ll teach you how to buy your first stock, teach you how to open up a discount brokerage account, and then we’ll put $1,000 into that account to fund the purchase of a Motley Fool-recommended stock. The stock is yours forever. We just want to make sure every employee gets the chance to experience our services as do our paying members.
- Fool Stock: Better than ivory soap, the Fool is 99.95% owner by current and former employees. Subject to board approval, every employee get restricted stock, not options, upon being hired.
- Bonus: We have an All Fool’s bonus, based on hitting company-wide targets. When the company wins, we all win. Oh, and you can use part of your bonus to buy more Fool stock at a discount.
- Fool Dollars: $1,200 for a gym membership, tuition, work-at-home hardware, domestic partner insurance, and many other approved expenses.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Fools are provided with up to $5,250 in tax-free educational assistance for undergrad or grad-level courses, annually.
- Flex Spending: Includes the option of a medical and/or a dependent care account.
- AD&D (Accidental Death & Dismemberment) Insurance: One times your annual salary up to $100k, all paid for by the Fool.
- Supplemental AD&D: Option to purchase additional AD&D insurance at an awesome group rate.
- Life Insurance: One times your annual salary up to $100k, all paid for by the Fool.
- Supplemental Life Insurance: Option to purchase additional life insurance at a schweet group rate.
- Short-Term Disability: Fools receive 100% of their salary paid for by the Fool.
- Long-Term Disability: Fools receive 60% of their salary, tax-free, paid for by the Fool (up to a maximum of $10,000 per month).
- Supplemental Long-Term Disability Insurance: Option to purchase additional coverage also at a group rate.
- Free Fitness Classes: Every work day, in our very own building, for Fools only.
- Healthy Food: Fools sometimes get hungry. When they do, they can pick up a snack from one of our stocked fridges or from the pantry.
- Onsite Gym: Fools have free access to an in-house gym with locker rooms and shower facilities.
- Onsite Massage: Stress happens, even here. So, every week, a licensed therapist comes on site to bliss you out with a seated massage. Not to mention we have two out-of-this-world massage chairs.
- Open Gym: Free access to a local gym twice a week to join fellow fools for a game of basketball, soccer, or floor hockey.
Growth and Development
The career of each Fool is dynamic and may change over time. We know you are most productive when your skills, passion, and the company’s needs intersect.
We believe that continuous learning is essential to drive creativity, problem solving, and overall job satisfaction. It is also the key to the future of The Motley Fool, and your development is not only supported – it’s expected.
Our corporate university, Fool University, offers over one hundred opportunities each year to improve your brain, both in your job and overall. Topics include everything from the standards like communication and computer skills to improvisation and golf classes.
Our dynamic speaker series brings in dozens of experts each year to discuss a broad range of topics. Past speakers have included world renowned CEO’s, authors, investors, economists, and a Flying Karamazov Brother.
Wherever you are in your career path, The Motley Fool offers you opportunities for personal and professional growth. We provide a foundation for continuous learning in a culture of respect, transparency, competition and fun.
At the Fool, your career can be what you make it.
- Employee Assistance Program: Confidential counseling & referral service for employees and eligible dependents.
- Maternity Leave: Up to 14 weeks off at 100% pay. Plus $200 to spend on your new baby (or yourself – we won’t judge).
- Paternity Leave: Up to 5 weeks off at 100% pay. Plus $200 to spend as you see best at this special time.
Going Green Initiative
- No Styrofoam: Fools use Foolish travel mugs and Fool glasses instead of adding heaps of Styrofoam to the landfills.
- Zipcar: Enjoy discounted membership and driving rates. Easy access to cars such as the two cars located across the street at the King Street Metro station.
Other Great Benefits
- Clubs: We have clubs that go bowling, try new recipes, watch movies, read books, and get together while their dogs play in the park. (And that’s only naming a few of our clubs.)
- Credit Monitoring: If you want someone else to monitor your credit report and restore your identity if it is ever stolen (hopefully, it won’t!), it can be done, at a group rate.
- Fool’s Gold: Fools are given a quarterly budget of gold (translates to real dollars) to gift to their coworkers as they see fit. Fools then redeem their gold for prizes and experiences.
- Free Access to all TMF subscription services: How much are you shelling out for our subscriptions currently?
- Game Room: We’ve got pool, foos, ping-pong, pop-n-shot, Playstation, Atari, Ms. Pacman and satellite TV. We play at all hours.
- Monthly All-Fool Activities: Each month we have some kind of exciting adventure. It could be camping, going to a hockey game, going to an amusement park, skiing, attending the theater, or celebrating April Fool’s Day.
- Pizza, Cake, and the Occasional Belgian Waffle: On the first Friday each month we enjoy big gooey cakes to spotlight everyone with a birthday. And on the last Friday of every month, we gather for pizza on the Fool. Ask for your favorite toppings. There are also other occasional Food days, like Chili Day, Smoothie Day, or Hot Breakfast Day.
- Subsidized Transit: You can choose between a metro subsidy (metro is just across the street!) or subsidized parking (ends up being free for you) right below our magnificent offices.
- Vet Insurance: Because sometimes the most important person in your life isn’t a person you can get a 5% discount off normal rates.