There’s a definite Motley Fool voice, plainspoken and irreverent. But there’s never one indivisible Motley Fool opinion. Individual responsibility is at the heart of our culture here at the Fool. Use your own judgment and bounce your ideas around with other Fools. Superior investment ideas can come from anywhere, so your ability to listen and synthesize is as important as your ability to create.
Turf wars are rare at The Motley Fool. Maybe because our turf is wide open. There is no visible pecking order. Nobody fights for the corner office. (There are no corner offices.)
Location, location, motivation
The Motley Fool HQ is located in historic Old Town Alexandria, Virginia across from the King Street Metro station. Walk to swell restaurants. Bike the historic tow path along the Potomac. Go sailing after work. Grab the Metro to anywhere you like.
Working at the Fool will be the best job you’ll ever have: flexible work schedule, competitive salary, great benefits, and one of the best working environments you’ll find anywhere.
Business is thriving, growing, and evolving, so you’ll meet new challenges every day. If you want to spend your career making the world a better place and contributing to a revolution in investment, The Motley Fool may be the place for you.
The Fool offers comprehensive health, vision, prescription, and dental coverage through a PPO plan. And if you are electing coverage for yourself, it’s only $4 per paycheck ($2 for health/prescription/vision and $2 for dental)! Benefits are even effective on your date of hire.
The Fool’s vacation/sick policy is pretty straightforward: take what you need. That’s right, as long as you get your work done and consult with your supervisor in advance (if you’re going to be sick, we’d like to know in advance, but we understand it doesn’t always work that way…unfortunately…), you may take any reasonable amount of time off. With pay, of course. Huh? Flexible paid time off? What’s the catch? Well… nothing, actually. Fools treat themselves, their company and their co-workers with fairness and respect, so you will not abuse such a wonderfully Foolish benefit.
We follow the New York Stock Exchange. When they’re enjoying a day off in Hawaii…well…at least we get to sleep in too! (By the way, the DC Metro area is way cooler than Hawaii.)
Work like a grown-up. A Fool’s work is never done, but that doesn’t mean we work all the time. As a general rule, Fools start their day about 9:30 am. Lots of Fools work a standard 40-50 hour workweek. But we recognize that everyone is different. We try to stay flexible. Working with your supervisors, you can customize your work schedule to meet the particular demands of your job.
Anything goes, even white shoes before Memorial Day. We really only have three types of unacceptable dress here at the Fool: Viking helmets with strapless evening gowns; plaid with polka-dots; more than three colors not found in nature.
Fools are provided with up to $5,250 in tax-free educational assistance for undergrad or grad-level courses.
The courses must:
- Be provided through an accredited college or university
- Be related to a Fool’s current job or a career path within The Motley Fool (sorry, we don’t need brain surgeons on staff)
- Be approved by HR in advance
Growth and Development
The career of each Fool is dynamic and may change over time. We know you are most productive when your skills, passion, and the company’s needs intersect.
We believe that continuous learning is essential to drive creativity, problem solving, and overall job satisfaction. It is also the key to the future of The Motley Fool, and your development is not only supported – it’s expected.
Our corporate university, Fool University, offers over one hundred opportunities each year to improve your brain, both in your job and overall. Topics include everything from the standards like communication and computer skills to improvisation and golf classes.
Our dynamic speaker series brings in dozens of experts each year to discuss a broad range of topics. Past speakers have included world renowned CEO’s, authors, investors, economists, and a Flying Karamazov Brother.
Wherever you are in your career path, The Motley Fool offers you opportunities for personal and professional growth. We provide a foundation for continuous learning in a culture of respect, transparency, competition and fun.
At the Fool, your career can be what you make it.
Pre-Tax Savings Programs
- Traditional Pre-Tax or Roth (After-Tax): Employees can contribute up to the legal limit each year. And as financial educators, we strongly encourage you to sock away the full amount. The Motley Fool matches $.50 on the dollar up to your first 8%.
- Flex Spending Account: Includes the option of a medical and/or a dependent care account.
- AD&D: 1 times annual salary up to $100k, all paid for by the Fool.
- Life Insurance: 1 times annual salary up to $100k, all paid for by the Fool.
- Long-Term Disability: Fools receive 60% of their salary, tax-free, paid for by the Fool (up to a maximum of $10,000 per month).
- Short-Term Disability: Fools receive 100% of their salary paid for by the Fool.
- Supplemental AD&D: Option to purchase additional AD&D insurance at an awesome group rate.
- Supplemental Life Insurance: Option to purchase additional life insurance at a schweet group rate.
- Supplemental Long-Term Disability Insurance: Option to purchase additional coverage also at a group rate.
- Employee Assistance Program: Confidential counseling & referral service for employees and eligible dependents.
- Maternity Leave: Up to 14 weeks off at 100% pay. Plus $200 of grocery delivery at the Fool’s expense.
- Paternity Leave: Up to 5 weeks off at 100% pay. Plus $200 of grocery delivery at the Fool’s expense.
Going Green Initiative
- No Styrofoam: Fools use Foolish travel mugs instead of adding heaps of Styrofoam to the landfills.
- Zipcar: Enjoy discounted membership and driving rates. Easy access to cars such as the two cars located across the street at the King Street Metro station.
Everyone here is an owner. As a new-hire, you’ll be granted options to purchase shares of Motley Fool stock. Your option price will be based upon the fair market value as determined by the Board of Directors on the date of grant.
Other Great Benefits
- Clubs: We have clubs that go bowling, try new recipes, watch movies, read books, and get together while their dogs play in the park. (And that’s only naming a few of our clubs.)
- Credit Monitoring: If you want someone else to monitor your credit report and restore your identity if it is ever stolen (hopefully, it won’t!), it can be done, at a group rate.
- Fool Dollars: $1,200 for a gym membership, tuition, work-at-home hardware, domestic partner insurance, and many other approved expenses.
- Free Access to all TMF subscription services: How much are you shelling out for our subscriptions currently?
- Free Fitness Class: Every Monday, Tuesday and Thursday in our very own building for Fools only.
- Game Room: We’ve got pool, foos, ping-pong, pop-n-shot, Playstation, Atari, Ms. Pacman and satellite TV. We play at all hours.
- Monthly All-Fool Activities: Each month we have some kind of exciting adventure. It could be camping, going to a hockey game, going to an amusement park, skiing, attending the theater, or celebrating April Fool’s Day.
- Onsite Gym: Fools have free access to an in-house gym with locker rooms and shower facilities.
- Onsite Massage: Stress happens, even here. So, every week, a licensed therapist comes on site to bliss you out with a seated massage. Not to mention we have two out-of-this-world massage chairs.
- Open Gym: Free access to a local gym twice a week to join fellow fools for a game of basketball, soccer, or floor hockey.
- Pizza, Cake, and the Occasional Belgian Waffle: On the first Friday each month we enjoy big gooey cakes to spotlight everyone with a birthday. And on the last Friday of every month, we gather for pizza on the Fool. Ask for your favorite toppings. There are also other occasional Food days, like Chili Day, Smoothie Day, Hot Breakfast Day.
- Subsidized Transit: You can choose between a metro subsidy (metro is just across the street!) or subsidized parking (ends up being free for you) right below our magnificent offices.
- Vet Insurance: Because sometimes the most important person in your life isn’t a person you can get a 5% discount off normal rates.
- Yoga Classes: Monday and Wednesday classes are held for Fools to stretch out.